Topgun's point is well made.

But going back to the comparative aspect of this spirited argument I would point out the stark differences in how, and who, hunted in Britain. If, in America, hunting were only for the wealthy and privaledged, then it would just as likely have arrisen that the guns for such endeavor would have been far more focused on that price point.

Secondly, it's worth noting that the high-end focus for Brit doubles does not extend to much else. The British are world famous for their snoot, but not at all for any general asthetic of metculousness in building/design/production. And BTW, the French similar. They did BEAUTY, but not necessarly quality.

Germany, on the other hand... They can point to their guild guns and rightly claim that this is how they were made, not because of price point, but because they made EVERYTHING thusly....right down to the smallest thing. Their roads, their doorknobs, and their toothpicks.

Germans...made...quality.

One cannot claim this about Britain. There was not, nor is there today, any greater general asthetic for quality there than in the United States. I lived there, and have travelled there.

My point is, while their "best guns" are better, it's only because of who bought them...not because Brits are "wired to build quality things." Thats utterly untrue. Go buy an English car...it doesnt matter what price you paid...you will curse the thing after a month.

Germany could actually claim a national quality asthetic. At least THEN. But Germany today is changing rapidly...we may not say the same thing in the future.

NDG