I own a proto-type 20 gauge with the serial number P36 on the trigger guard and P-00036 on the frame.

There is nothing especially unusual about the stock dimensions of mine.

I was told that there was an initial run of prototypes made (about 50 to 75) that were produced as part of a limited run and used as promotional items and gifts to give to business partners and friends of Tom Skeuse. This was supposedly all done while the factory was tooling up for volume production.What I was told was that there was a variety of different types of walnut used in the prototypes and in the end Tom decided to buy a large walnut supplier on the west coast to ensure a steady supply of high quality blanks for his endeavor. (Being a wealthy industrialist has it's perks).

There is probably a lot more to the story and maybe some of what I was told might be fictitious hearsay. Ironically, I live just over the Delaware river in Pennsylvania from Ringoes NJ, where the Skeuse's HQ was but found my Parker Repro new in the box in Maine while on a grouse/woodcock hunt a few years ago. The US headquarters of Krieghoff is just down the road from me in Ottsville as well. Krieghoff produced and imported the extra 16 gauge barrels there that were used in the combo sets.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]