After reading the Vintagers thread I see where a few guns were offered there still in their original boxes. I have always found guns like this interesting. Of course the box is only a collector piece, but it does add alot to the story of the gun. I own one such gun, a 1921 Trap Grade L.C. Smith that has been fired but remains in very high condition, as is the original box and hang tag.

When I purchased this gun I was very intrigued by the box itself. I researched but never came to any conculsion on when guns (of any make) first started being shipped in Cardboard boxes. Does anyone here have any info or research material to answer this?

I think it's a neat story to show and tell on how or why someone in 1921 would keep the original box and the original packing paper inside the box. Some people just didn't throw anything away!

Next picture shows the orignial packing material. The paper in the upper portion of the box is not original, but the paper in the lower portion of the box is what the gun was originally packed in.

Excuse all the pictures, but wanted to ask the questions and also show that when someone exhibits the care to keep and preserve the original box a gun came in, more often than not, the gun will remain in high condition too, at least it seems that way to me.