I tried to ask the auction a question about the proof marks. The auction house doesn't seem to allow questions on this item. However, from blow-up of the water table, the one I can make out is a crown over "V" looks like standard London proof mark for the era. [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

And the gun is definitely a shotgun, not a rifle as advertised.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Going through the original line, George L. said he bought the gun for around $5000 and spent $2500 in restoration. He was questioned repeatedly on the weight...as I recall he finally weighed it - 29 lbs. You don't see these...There was one offered a couple of years ago without engraving for $45,000...see the Reilly line where I pictured all known Reilly 4 bores. Frederic Selous did write in the late 1800's that after firing a 4 bore in Africa, he developed a firing flinch that he had great difficulty getting rid of.

I haven't heard from George for quite awhile. He had a tendency to ask the same question several times and I notice his business is for sale. I think the death of his daughter hit him hard. Parents should leave this earth before their off-spring. He posted here a couple of years ago about selling off his collection. But,I have a feeling that this Reilly was one of the last guns he would part with. Raimey tells me is is now quite deaf.
https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ub...;Main=41282&Number=506740#Post506740

Last edited by Argo44; 03/24/21 08:58 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch