We have an “open spaces” area in town, and while there is a leash law, the area is mostly wetlands that developers couldn’t get around the filling and building laws. The leash law isn’t enforced for the most part. I regularly see a pair of stupid suburban housewife’s tugging their beagles through the area on a short lease, usually attempting to get them to quit baying. They often remark that my Setter is so well behaved, and can not grasp that the beagles are simply doing what they are supposed to be doing.
I really feel for the dogs, both need more exercise then they are getting, and from what I can see, both would hunt if given the chance.
I did, as a kid, have a neighbor who would hunt with a basset hound, always a hilarious time. The basset would make game, and begin to bay, getting so excited he would often step on his ears, and fall down, but, provided enough push to get the bunnies moving, giving you a shot. The rabbits didn’t seem to act like they were in real danger from the pooch (trust me, they weren’t) and the game moved a little slower then when you hunted with beagles.
That basset, while on an expedition for bunnies, may have been the happiest dog I’ve ever seen in my life. Pure joy in motion.

Thanks for the reminder, Geo.

Best,
Ted