Originally Posted by LRF
Originally Posted by 257rob
I’m certainly no expert but what about the ‘engraved by Kornbrath Hartford Ct’ on the floor plate? Is that typical of his work?
The problem I see with the engraving is that the execution of the scrolls and animal is lifeless, not anything like his better work. He did not sign all his work, as I understand, and would most likely sign his better pieces.

So I am saying choose for yourself.

I agree with the above. The animal depictions are near Winchester 1950's in quality,,and that has often been described as cartoonish.
The scroll style is one he often cut but this example is not nearly as detailed and shaded as profusely as his normally seen work.
The edge simple clean line borders are not so much that and they are very wide unlike the very narrow ones he used when done so.

The stick lettered name placed in the border strikes me as an after thought of another engraver or on the orders of an owner trying to 'upgrade' what they had.

Look at some of Kornbrath's signitures on his work, they alone are works of art.

There's more work around signed and or attributed to Kornbrath and a few other well knowns than any could have done in 3 lifetimes.
Copying old work is no great trick, it's been done for centuries.
Oh,,the piece is Signed by the engraver ??,,How many do you want...

Last edited by Kutter; 03/30/21 11:24 AM. Reason: finished the text after the cat entered the msg prematurely