This is obviously a slow motion project, but I ran into a question and thought I could give an update.

The option I chose was to use the guns as learning guns. Since I bought both Ithacas in a lot with a pristine condition AyA no.2 for about $2k at auction, I figure they were nearly free. What I decided to do was use the barrel from the poor condition gun to make a two-barrel set.

What I've done / learned so far on the "custom, deluxe two barrel ithaca 200e" project (with many thanks to members here who have been extremely helpful along the way):

- forend tip inlay. I used horn and had quite a time figuring out how to address the loss of wood at the edge of the inlay channel.

- grip cap shaping. Same horn as the tip. needs final touch up.

- oil finish. Using a home brew red oil & slacum, rottenstone, and lots of hand rubbing. Also had to address some gun oil saturation along the through bolt hole.

- barrel fitting. Smoked in to fit the bites to the bolt.

To be done:
- rust blue both sets of barrels.
- dress screw slots and blue heads.
- Fit a new recoil pad. probably leather covered.
- Restore a leather, two-barrel gun case from vL&A

Here's the question: I put the action back on the stock and noticed a couple of things. Initially the fit was poor. I swapped the through bolt from the other gun and was able to get the head to snug up. But.... with the head properly seated, I could see heretofore unseen hairline cracks in the head, in the typical skb/ithaca spot. When I finally get ready to list the gun, I will certainly disclose the cracks, but my question is whether these hairline cracks should be addressed structurally before selling (thus my posting in this same thread).

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

What do y'all think?

Jim