Originally Posted by KY Jon
I wonder what the Left thinks is going to happen? They pass an assault weapon ban and the guns all go away. They might consider that passing a law, after the fact (as in ownership of a legal gun) is barred by the Constitution. Might not matter in their minds. But if that is the case do they expect every owner to bring them in and just give them to the government? Are they going to buy them back at real value? If there are 10 million assault weapons and 50% turn them in, which I expect is ten times the number who will, what is their plan for the other 5 million? Arrest, house to house search, mass internment’s?

Courts are hard to predict but for now this court should be pro-constitution. And that’s all we can ask for. That and a little sanity.

I would remind you John of your well thought out posts on the "way too close to home thread" about this. The gun control, when the rubber hits the road, has to deal with the realities on the ground.

I think the best they can hope to achieve, in the best circumstances, is to cease new production of certain firearms for civilian purchase, limit the capacity the newly produced magazines for civilian purchase, grandfather the already existing and owned targeted firearms and magazines tot he current possessor and prevent all future transfers of the grandfathered firearms, except to the government for buyback purposes. Whatever they define as an "assault weapon" can no longer be transferred in any other way.

Like it or not, this probably would pass Constitutional muster.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum