Ten years later and this gun still generates a lot of “discussion “. Jim Kelly was given a task of repairing or stabilization on a gun with rather major condition problems. If it were a common 12 bore, of any maker, I suspect he would have declined the job. He did a good job of making the gun presentable. It is a interesting gun. It would be so even as a 8 bore. History should not be lost just because it got damaged by use or neglect but should be enjoyed. I’d love to own that gun just for display purposes. I am not shooting it and for that matter what game could I shoot it at today. Maybe a turkey in a few states. Overkill for that or any other clay target.

I doubt George every had any serious interest in shooting it with anything greater than blanks. His selling price was a pie in the sky, attention getting, price as far as I was concerned. I think it was removed from sale listing because George knew the price was not ever going to be made and close inspection would diminish this gun interest because it was a much altered gun in rough condition.

In some ways this gun reminds me of a Lefever Optimus that surfaced about a decade ago. It was thought to be a true basket case. One buyer took a chance and bought it. After more than a bit of work it was brought back to acceptable condition for light use. And as he pointed out he owned a shootable Optimus while most wanting one will never get the chance own either one for display or to shoot. It was a nice looking gun, in better display condition than this.

As to what Jim said about it, we can’t know but I am certain he did not say shoot it with full loads because it is as good as new. I would expect him to remember this gun but he might not want to discuss what he said to the owner because that conversation was between them and not the entire world. Some here are thinking a condition report once given should be free for the entire world to see. Does not work that way. You pay Diggory for one you think the next person asking him will be told ask Jon or be given it for free? Information has value.