Much appreciate the above and very interesting. Still there are two question swirling about:

-- There were no 6 bore cartridges in UK in the 1870's...at least that's the premise posted by SKB and per the extant cartridge catalogs. So is the gun chambered for 4 bore but using a 6 bore barrel? That's sort of the conclusion all posited about SN 18860 above. Opinions were that this was a sort of "poor man's choke" permitting tighter patterns. (Or did I misunderstand this)?

-- How can the shotgun be billed as "beyond full choke" but without the "not for ball" proof stamp? (i.e. Greener popularized chokes in 1875 and the proof marks were changed in Summer of that year - so if it's choked, it should have the stamp? - (unless using a 6 bore barrel on a 4 bore chamber constitutes in and of itself a sort of choke?)

-- Is a Shotgun's "bore" size for sales judged by the shells it chambers, or the bore of the barrel. (Obviously "bore size" indicates the latter; but there seems to be some slippage and confusion in advertisements (there are several "12 bore" shotguns but with 13 bore barrels that I've seen) and if it's chambered for 4 bore, certainly UK auction houses advertise it as "4 bore"..

-- Are there any "true" 4 bores (4 bore chambers, 4 bore barrels) or were they all chambered for 4 with 6 bore barrels? If so, what do you call them?

Last edited by Argo44; 04/09/21 11:45 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch