I must admit that I do have a resistance to the use of Epoxy space fillers on gun stocks, it maybe irrational to some folks but I did have problems trying to rectify things after its use. Though I did give rather a short answer to the posting looking at it again, because to me cutting a thin pieces of wood to use as a gap filler can be problematical to some folks let alone trying to source the odd piece of Walnut. Also I did not give a more practical source for the wood for curing this problem making things a lot easier. In the photograph are what you folks call wooden "Popsicle" sticks a name new to myself, on this side of the pond they are a little large for that and sold in craft shops under the name of tongue depressors or craft sticks. these sticks are approximately 5/64 or 1.8 mm thick though the type of wood they are made from I have no idea but perfect for gap filling plus there are other plus points like easy to shape wood does not splinter close grained though the top benefits are the wood is easy to shape very light in colour and takes dye easily. So all in all a useful addition to your wood working box for making good those gaps in many wood repair situations other than gun stocks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!