I have three drillings that I hunt with quite a bit.

I wouldn't be afraid of a nice hammer gun. This is a 1907 no-name drilling 16ga/16ga/9.3x72R I picked it up with the head of the stock shattered and put it back together with some new pieces that were missing and re-inleted it. It is now a nice shooter. I killed this coyote in the morning and then shot a nice round of trap with it in the afternoon.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I've made low claw mount rings for one of my drillings from Weaver high rings, tedious but not overly difficult. JP Sauer 16ga/16ga/7x57R, 1970's vintage with low mounted scope, it also has a 6x48mm Nichols scope that I can swap in if I should ever need the larger magnification.

Even odd cartridges can be interesting this is my goto coyote hunting rig in the thick stuff, Wilkes(retailer) 16ga/16ga/6.5x58R Sauer with .260 bore so I swage .264 bullets down but it will shoot .257 well also. This one was kind of butchered and I had to repair the extractor legs and some one had drilled the rib so I put a set of weaver bases on for a low scope, it also has the original Hensoldt 4x scope for the claw mounts.

They are fun, interesting and very useful.

After reading Mikes post, I was typing while he was posting. Different styles of hunting dictate some of the requirements of a gun while Mike finds a high mounted 6x scope practical for his style of hunting, a low mounted scope with a large FOV works for me hunting called coyotes in heavier cover, still hunting whitetails in the northern forests and still gives me fast acquisition close in and MOA rifle options out to a couple hundred yards for those ones that hang up there aways. I have taken ducks and pheasants on the wing with 1x scopes on the way back from coyote stands.

Last edited by oskar; 04/13/21 11:27 AM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.