Shortgrub;

The conversations here are of some interest to you I am certain. However, I suggest that you to to the acknowledged world expert of British double rifles, Graeme Wright of Australia. You can contact him at his email address:
thepilotgw@hotmail.com

I have always had very quick responses back from him when I have emailed him in the past. Send him an email and photos requesting the information you want.

Graeme Wright's book on the British Double Rifle will be of much value to you and I suggest you buy it. On page 70 (3rd edition) is information that I call you attention to where he states that by in large all original British black power rifle cartridges were paper patched; and further he states in regard to the .500 black Power express cartridges: "In looking at the .500 black power express, the British standard size are .502" bore and .510" groove diameters. The original projectiles that I have measured were .502" for the projectile and .508" to .512" with the paper patch in place."

I think that your measurements indicate the above information from Graeme Wright is consistent with your double rifle's chamber dimensions.

I know that copies of Mr. Wright's book are difficult to find and are costly, and if you would like for me to send you copies of pages from his book concerning your rifle caliber, please send me a PM with your email address and I will send them to you.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Last edited by bushveld; 04/20/21 02:22 PM.