No answers so I'll add this:

This is Reilly 8 bore SN 25383 Dated per the chart to early cal 1883. It is now a shotgun rebarreled with 28" steel barres, with the 295 Oxford Street address (after March 1903, possibly not till May 1904). It was formerly one of Terry Buffum's Reilly's now residing with SXS 40.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

I concluded it was originally a big-bore rifle repurposed after 1904 as a shotgun; reason - pistol grip stock; weight; barrels much shorter than should be found on a fowler. Here is the Amoskeog advertisement:
Blue steel dovetail lump barrels with a single bead sight on the smooth rib marked "E.M. REILLY & Co. 295 OXFORD St. LONDON", doll's head rib extension, single extractor, and mixed London and Birmingham proofs on the flats. Heavyweight, casehardened action and locks with sculpted fences and hammers. London and Birmingham proofs on the water table, and knurled under lever. The lock plates and action feature flourishes of light scroll engraving with maker's marks on each lock. Checkered forearm and pistol grip stock with lightly engraved fittings, Anson latch gold initial oval engraved with the bust of a roaring lion, and solid recoil pad.

I asked harry to see if there was a Scott Gas Check patent use number on the faces. There are on other Reilly shotguns from that time period:

There are none. So until someone can post otherwise, the conclusion is that for some reason the Scott Gas Check patent was used only (or for the most part) on shotguns. If someone has a gas check on a 1880's-90's rifle, would much appreciate seeing a photo.

Last edited by Argo44; 04/28/21 07:31 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch