Lagopus and KY Jon;

Thank both of for your comments concerning 20,000 standard service cartridge issue. That the sentence should be construed to mean 20,000 rounds of standard cartridges seems to be the likely explanation.

Lagopus;
Your mention of the proof house and the subject of "The repair of Gun Barrels by Welding" brings to mind a comment made to me by a descendant of Arthur Howell the Birmingham, England gunmaker who died in 1957 (his business Arthur Howell & Company was located in Whitall Street, Birmingham). In 2002 when I was living in the UK I visited Arthur Howell's family near Birmingham to research his records and history of his gunmaking business that he operated from about 1900 to 1957. Among many other things I was told about Arthur Howell's gun business, one of his descendants told me that Arthur Howell very early in the 1900's had taken interest in modern welding methods and techniques and had gone over to one of the technical schools at or near Birmingham to study welding and had become very qualified in the processes of that day. Further, it was told to me that the Birmingham Proof House was very opposed to Arthur Howell submitting barrels for reproof that he had repaired by welding, but that in the end he won out and the proof house tested the barrels and they passed proof.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Last edited by bushveld; 04/29/21 03:06 PM.