=========================================================
Spreading the word

At the Southern I met and talked to Mr. Dan Morphy of Morphy Auctions. At his request I forward to him the Reilly History, Extant SN dating chart, and the dating chart for Reilly trade labels. Today the following was received from Eric Wagner of Morphy Auctions:

Mr. Williams,
I just wanted to reach out on behalf of Morphy Auctions and thank you for sending us the information on E.M. Reilly. I have added it to our reference library.
Thank you!

In addition I chatted for some time with Rick Henley, the Executive Director of Acquisitions of Rock Island Auction Company and also fowarded the Reilly data to him. The following reply was received.

Gene,
Thank you so much for this information, I am certain I will find it helpful in the future. I enjoyed speaking with you at the Southern as well. Please let me know if there is anything I can help with in the future.
Rick Henley

I've also sent the data to Kirby Hoyt, Steve Barnett, Vic Venters, , and a number of big gun dealers and experts in the USA and UK including Donald Dallas & Diggory Haddoke. (Mr. Dallas' comments are posted above; Diggory published an earlier form of the history and date chart in his on-line magazine 2 years ago).

Donald Dallas's email:
Dear Gene,
Many thanks indeed for sending me your vast amount of research that you have undertaken on Reilly. I had never read the articles in Diggory's journal so it was all brand new to me. I must congratulate you on your lengthy and so well researched history of Reilly. I well know the considerable amount of hours that go into a piece of proper research like this.

It is so heartening that you have elevated the name Reilly where it belongs. I found it absolutely fascinating and had no idea that Reilly was such a big manufacturer. Like others I assumed, erroneously, as you explain that he was a retailer. I will now completely revise my opinion of Reilly. I was a student at the London School of Economics in the early 1970s and used to pass along New Oxford Street every morning and I always used yo think of Reilly.

The information was sent to Cyril Adams before he died who wrote the following three weeks before he passed away:

Mr. Williams:
Thank you for your exhaustive and well-written history of REILLY. You have produced a much-needed work which will be studied by students of English Guns and Rifles for both knowledge and pleasure.
Good job, Mr. Williams ..........Cyril Adams

There is a point to this; If one thinks that the research is solid, then why let false information stand? Not to say something about bad narrative being published is to be complicit in its errors.

Last edited by Argo44; 05/15/21 11:48 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch