Originally Posted by smp190
.....So I am gathering that the Belgium gun makers stole designs, used fake barrel stamps and sold inexpensive “replicas”. I have to say that finding the Manton designed grip safety and looking at my gun it appears that my statement is correct. Kind of like what China does now 😀.

I really wouldn't state it that way as the Chinese aren't all that smart as they steal technology @ every turn(pay the Eastern Europeans and Russians to do their hacking dirty-work) and the Belgians could make a pricepoint weapon one day & an upper rung the next and not check up, while the Chinese don't care about the Sigma/error/QA-QC and they just turn out junk all the time .

True Eugene Bernard was in it for the Benjamins but the mechanic here used a parts kit & IMPORTED the Manton Safety Grip technology to meet the whims of his client. I don't think I've seen a 2 Barrel Set that was a box of junk. The Belgians were very talented and worked for pennies so they were heavily sourced for pricepoint weapons. Really after say circa 1870, no gunmaking centre in the world could turn out quality pattern welded tubes for the price as the Belgians could. They did have pride in their work but would make what one ordered.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse