Thought it was about time to give an update on this project. After sitting on it for a couple years, I decided that the only thing of real value on the rifle was the converted action and magazine. So I decided to take the action and pretty much start over. I really like these old 1922 Hornets, but they usually still have the original armory barrel which makes them quite heavy for a walking varmint rifle which to me is what the Hornet is best suited. With that in mind I turned a light sporter contour barrel and threaded it for the 1922 action. I then took the action, barrel, a stock blank, and sent it all to Duane Weibe and told him to make a rifle out of it. I wanted something in the style of the pre-war rifles, but did not want him to deviate to far from his typical style. Duane stocks in the classic style so he just closed up the grip slightly and made the forend just slightly longer than what he typically would on his big game rifles. I am still waiting on the rifle, but we do have some progress pictures so I thought I'd share those here.

Due to all the various bore diameters and twists used on Hornets over the years, I decided to have the Engraver put the groove diameter and twist rate above the wood line opposite the caliber markings.

The scope I will be using is a short receiver mounted external adjustment Fecker small game scope in case anyone was wondering about the scope base on the bridge. The trap buttplate has a cavity to hold the lens caps while you are shooting so they do not get lost.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

John