Thank you Mr. Ivanhoe. I happened to already have 10621 (1858) which sold at Southam's

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...lot-29b015bb-a4ec-437c-ab87-a4f700ac96eb
.376 percussion sporting rifle by E M Reilly, 24 ins octagonal half stocked barrel inscribed E M Reilly, London, leaf sights, platinum breech plug, brass mounted wooden ramrod, scroll engraved hammer, tang and lock, scroll engraved furniture with pineapple finial, figured stock, no.10621
By Southams Auctioneers & Valuers
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm going to assume that the converted pin-fire is SN 13308 (1864) and that the "1" is superfluous. A six digit serial number would put it post 1922 and into the Riggs era. If you don't mind, I'll write up 13308 for the extant gun chronology. And should you run across any Reilly's in those old catalogs, I would like to record them all. No gun in the last couple of years has forced me to change the chronology but you never know. There's always something new.

Col. Jacob's rifle - explosive shells

For instance from 1856 to 1865 Reilly advertised Col. Jacob's SxS rifle with an iron tipped explosive bullet that allegedly could reach out 2,000 yards. Would love to see one; (and note the above comments on Reilly's patent for explosive shells and Reilly similarly making iron tipped explosive shells for Sir Samuel Baker from as early as 1854):

Nuthall patent rifling

And in 1859 Major Nuthall came up with a patent for rifling (Patent 1167, 10 May 1859) for which Reilly had manufacturing rights: Don't even know what this patent was all about.

Here is the version made by Turner"
THE SECOND BY THOMAS TURNER, FISHER ST., BIRMINGHAM, CIRCA 1860 - with 31 ½ in. (80 cm.) barrel sighted to 1000 yards, marked 'MAJOR NUTHALL'S PATENT' and with rounded groove rifling (Patent 1167, 10 May 1859), Birmingham proof marks

(Of course since Reilly was "only a retailer," per late 20th century kibitzers, all this manufacturing stuff couldn't have taken place and those rubes from the 19th century were obviously victims of a "hoax.") smile smile

Thanks again
Gene Williams

Last edited by Argo44; 06/04/21 11:07 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch