Ivanhoe has kindly passed on some pictures of two pinfire actions he found 20 years ago in a box of old spares at a village auction, and he has requested they be included in this thread. One can never see too many pinfire actions.

The first is a single-bite, forward-underlever action, in 12-bore. It is by John Blanch & Sons, according to the vendor. It has the serial number 2360, which, if a Blanch, would make it a very early number. The Internet’s Blanch database (http://www.jblanchdatabase.co.uk/) has Blanch’s muzzle-loader serial numbers ending around no. 2100, and Blanch breechloaders starting around no. 3100. The data on early guns is sparse, so it may be a Blanch action. If I’m reading it correctly, it appears to have view marks from both the London and Birmingham proof houses?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The second action is unmarked. It is a single-bite rearward underlever action, possibly in 14-bore, with the Lang-type assisted-opening rising stud. There is a London view mark. I notice a lack of radius between the breech face and the bar; it could be an early action.

Interesting items. Well spotted, Ivanhoe!