I had the privilege to spend some time in an airplane with an 8th Air Force aircraft commander. Harold was the real deal. Excellent pilot, very soft spoken, modest to a fault. Considering the airplanes he grew up with, he had a very light touch on the controls. He was mentally miles ahead of the airplane. He taught me a great deal, especially about evaluating other airmen. The bigger the mouth, the worse the pilot.

Harold picked his B-24 up at Willow Run, led the entire group to England via the South Atlantic (being the old man of the outfit at age 23) and arrived in the ETO just after D-Day. After 7 missions he drew a 3 day pass to London and when he returned there was a B-17 on his hardstand. The whole group changed equipment while he was gone, and he was an instant B-17 pilot. He did his 25, came home on leave and went back for more. He visited friends in England every year for the rest of his life.

Harold had a great love for aviation and enjoyed sailplanes. As a member of a glider club he had an obligation to share the towing duties. He disliked towing for Eberhard, a Luftwaffe veteran... "I just don't like it when there's a kraut on my tail..."

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble