Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
There were lots of 3” lead loads produced before the mandate of non toxic shot for waterfowl or other hunting. I don’t see anything here that says this is a steel shot tolerant shotgun. I’d guess quite the opposite, the makers had no idea people would be using steel shot, as I’m thinking it is way older than the late 1970s, when steel shot became a thing.
That said, steel has come a ways since it was first stuffed down our throats, and into our guns. If you are talking a steady diet of steel loads, especially 3” versions, that gun will soon change your mind on that, as noted already. Sneaking an upland load in, here and there would likely be OK.

Good luck. I don’t feed steel to any double guns I own that I care about.

Best,
Ted

Thanks Ted for responding. I've used a bunch of 3" 12 and 20 gauge shells in my old single shots. They kicked like a mule but as a young man I was too dumb to know any better (smile).

As an aging hunter, I doubt I go through 2 boxes of shells per year. I seem to do more slow walking and not so much shooting but I do love the look and carry of a nice double. It just feels right when I aim it. I will still alternately carry my Remington 1900 in 12 ga, 32 inch barrels and a couple of pounds heavier. It's been with me for nearly 50 years and is so well trained that it almost gets the birds without me (smile).

Last edited by KenA; 06/16/21 04:24 AM.