Originally Posted by Tom Findrick
Ted, you keep saying it’s a really nice gun worth thousands in replacement, given to you from a person you respected.
It sounds like you’re about 3/4 of the way of talking yourself into leaving as-is.
I know that’s what I’d do.

At the very least, the gun needs a clean and strip, and the auto safety dismantled. I actually could do that myself, but, I think I would send it to a ‘Smith and listen to his thoughts. A good ‘smith could very likely rasp that pistol grip off, and perhaps refit the front wood.
That, I can’t do, or, don’t want to do to a virtually new gun.

As a Texan, I suspect you haven’t fired many rounds at departing Ruffed grouse. Most of my hunting revolves around that hunting, and my requirements are more to game gun configuration. I’m not trying to be insulting, just point out that the different configuration works out better in my circumstances. It would be OK, as is, for pheasant hunting. JR thinks it is a dove gun, could be, I’ve never killed a dove in my life, and don’t see starting now.

I doubt the gun is worth thousands. Highly doubt it. But, it would take that to replace it with something new, in the correct configuration. I wouldn’t feel bad putting some money into it to make it mine, but that number wouldn’t be thousands.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Best,
Ted