Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
I have a keen eye for details

Given the way you write, that is the laugh of the day. Thank you.

The Mathewson anecdote is a perfect example of why you should consider the source (not the messenger, the source) before you believe anything in the papers or online.

I have personally seen, not just heard about, Beretta Mobil-Chokes marked IC and M expanded by steel shot to the point that they defeated a Brownell's 'stuck choke remover'. Permanent damage resulted to a modern gun (Italian proof house, etc). Beretta went to a tougher alloy and marked them 'SP'.

This from Beretta about their current production guns and chokes:

"We suggest that - when using Steel Shot - you only use choke tubes marked with the SP (Steel Proof) identification on the side and that you use the most open choke system possible – i.e. Cylinder / Improved Cylinder / or Modified. We DO NOT recommend use of Steel Shot in the X-Tra Full Turkey / Full / or Improved Modified choke tube."

Perazzi does now state that all their barrels are steel compatible as standard, so it varies with manufacturer and date of manufacture.

I would opine that an LC Smith choked F/F would stand no chance against steel shot loads, especially early steel shot loads.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble