Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
"Perhaps the farmers lady----" OK, how about we try "Perhaps the farmer's lady is just too polite to complain?" Much better, ey wot? In my years of befriending farmers, with the goal of having unlimited permission to access their property, I have learned a few things-I'll take the time to share them here, perhaps you might learn a few things about how things are done in The Colonies-- (1) Leave things the way you see them when on a farmer's lands- if a gate is open, even with livestock around, it is open for a reason. (2) always leave the keys in your vehicle and leave it unlocked, in the event that it might have to be moved while you are afield. (3) if, in the off harvesting season, you are invited in for coffee, do so, and take your time in the socializing around the kitchen table- do NOT be in a rush to get out and into the fields with gun in hand-and be a good listener. (4) take time to learn about how crops and commodities are priced- milk is priced by the hundred weight, NOT by the gallon- keep up on going prices for feed, seed, fertilizers, diesel fuel, all the items that are critical to farm operations. (5)-- Never be a litterbug-- farms may look "messy" especially with livestock, more so than cash crop farms, but pick up All your empties- livestock, especially cattle, will pick up your empty shotgun shells and ingest them- which means a big Vet bill, and, most likely, a loss of your hunting/shooting permission there.

You’re certainly the master of the obvious RWTF. I can’t say that your homely advice on how to ingratiate yourself with farmers has been enlightening but then having worked on farms and coming from a rural area that shouldn’t come as any surprise. Also having grown up within the farming community I find just being myself seems sufficient to fit in.
One bit of advice I can pass on is Don’t be too impressed by people who constantly tell you who and what they are, it’s usually wishful thinking on their part.
I wouldn’t think that your superficial attempts to fit in with the farming community solely to gain something would overshadow your presentation of mangled parts of wildfowl , overshot at 25 yards with a full choke patterning shotgun , that surely only you would consider fit for the table. I don’t think that approach would work here, you would be considered a laughing stock. You might well try to impress with your pedantic use of basic English grammar but no farmer I know would give you the time of day, you would probably be known as the strange guy that mangles birds at point blank and thinks that it’s acceptable to gift them to people who are better placed to judge their value.
Just out of interest what load are you using for 25 yard wildfowl these days? I may want to quote you when I’m discussing the coming season with some local wildfowlers.
Are you interested in purchasing a ferret ? I could ask around ,it sounds like it wouldn’t be short of a feed at your house.

Last edited by Konor3inch; 06/29/21 05:33 PM. Reason: Addition