Originally Posted by FallCreekFan
Had a school teacher in our little town who drove a post war Chevy. After many years of perfect service, she went back to the “garage” and traded it in for a new one. A couple days later she was back complaining that her new car didn’t have a purse holder. Since her old car didn’t have a “purse holder” the salesman went outside with her to try an understand what she was talking about. Seems that every morning she would get in her old car, pull out the choke, hang her purse on it and go about her day.

That exact thing happened to me in 1964 working as a mechanic at the local Shell station.

We did a valve job on a Ford Falcon with a 194 CID engine. Less than a year later the lady came back in complaining the car was acting "that way" again... Sure enough the exhaust valves were burned again so I did another valve job on it. When she came to pick up the car I asked if I could sit in the car with her as she started it and drove it around the block. She sat in the driver's seat and before she even put the key in the ignition she pulled out the choke, hung her purse on it, put the key in, started it and off we drove. Back at the garage she pulled into the lot, put it in park and shut it off. Only then did she remove her purse and push in the choke.
I explained what she was doing wrong and she never had a problen after that.