I had a '54 Chevy longbed 3/4 ton truck for many years. Only one I've ever seen. Had a 4 speed with factory floor shifter and a "granny gear". Thriftmaster 235 engine. I kept the original 6 volt cranking and charging system in it. It was bought new by a black neighbor of mine who kept it in perfect shape until he died. It had a throttle knob in the dash that would lock the rpms at whatever you wanted them to be. I remember him driving it to our corn fields after we combined them and getting it straddle of two rows, then locking the throttle at a high idle in first gear and getting out and walking along behind it picking up lodged ears of corn and throwing them over into the bed, as the truck pulled itself slowly along towards the other end of the field. It was all original with no rust. Neighbor had done an amazing job of preserving it.

A fellow would drive by on the highway and see it under my shed and stop occasionally to ask if I'd sell it. I always answered "No". After years of asking he stopped one day and wrote something on a little piece of paper, folded it, and handed it to me. It was a price offer and his phone number. I kept it and it weighed on my mind, as it was a very good offer. I eventually called him and we did the deal. I think he was the kind of guy to take care of it.

May God bless America and those who defend her.