Thanks for that information, Gene, it really helps towards clarifying the situation that existed before the trials. Now I wish a British-marked Lefaucheux would miraculously turn up...

jOe, a surprising number of Westley Richards pinfires have survived, and I've never really understood why. Yes, they are very well made, and their action designs made good candidates for conversion to centre-fire (most were). Being the favourite of the Prince of Wales (and later King) was surely good advertising. Starting in the pinfire business later than some, and having good facilities might have allowed WR to cash in on the rising demand in the mid to late 1860s. In my experience, most WR pinfires are of the lateral top-lever design (patented in 1864), while the pull top-lever design (patented in 1862) is much rarer, owing to fewer guns of that type having been made. Both types appeared in this ever-lengthening thread, on pages 6 and 10. Even their first centre-fires had pinfire hammers for looks (what looks like a conversion of one of their guns might not be). Maybe no one wanted to scrap bar-in-wood guns!

I've seen a few Westley Richards pinfires advertised in the US, all at about the same price. Too rich for me, despite my obvious obsession.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]