I've shot a lot of both of those loads. The German is vintage (probably 1880s) black powder GI ammo and I shot it in my 71/84 Mauser as it was the only available ammo back then and a dollar something a box. I don't remember any duds but that was back 50 years ago. I wouldn't hunt with it now because of the chance of primer failure and it is probably best left as collector ammo. Dominion of the vintage you have is probably fine and is smokeless loaded to black powder levels. They are balloon head cases. Late production had some case problems that show up with close inspection in reloading. I'm still shooting my reloads in the older Dominion brass in my hammer drilling and my 71 Mauser. Bell brass is really good and Connecticut Cartridge brass is good also. Bertram is available (Huntingtons.com). The Jones underlever makes a strong lock up. If it would make you feel better to proof it, load one of the Dominions, wrap it in a blanket to protect it and put it in a tire with a string on the trigger, cock the hammer and step back. Bet it works just fine and would make a good hunting rifle but is not really primitive! when you say the German rounds are in better condition does that mean you suspect the Dominions are reloads? I would not shoot someone else's reloads.

Last edited by HalfaDouble; 08/26/21 11:55 AM.