Hello,

I have a 1947 LC Smith Field in good shape. Yesterday I was in my LGS reviewing the shotguns for sale when I noticed a new consignment shotgun- another LC Smith Field, but slightly less than I paid for mine [around $600, plus all fees for this one].

I was looking it over and it seems to be on a regular frame, instead of a Featherweight frame- but both have the armor steel barrel.

I've read about how in the late 1930s the company introduced changes to improve the stock.

My question is: is there any great difference between a regular frame and a FW frame LC Smith Field?

My second question was whether the 1920s LC Smith Field would, all things being equal, be considered more or less desirable than a 1946/47 model? [At least, I think this is a regular frame from the 20s. It has an R stamped in front of the numbers, is marked Field on the Armor barrels- and the only other date that might line up with serial numbers would be somewhere around 1900- before Field grades and armor barrels.]

BTW, I am more of a shooter than an investor/collector.

I don't see LCs this inexpensive in my area, so I am very tempted. Yet, I don't need 2 that are essentially the same. I have enough other options. In fact, my wife would like me to sell half of my shotguns. Then I'd only have a bakers' dozen.

But, If there is some advantage of one over the other, maybe it would be worth getting the 20s production and selling my 47.

Then, she wouldn't hate me. grin

So, any advice about the differences in quality, reliability, handling?

Last edited by bczrx; 09/13/21 03:15 AM.

Classic 'field' SxS's are what draw me in- that way I can have more than one!