I have a few more than 3 old guns, as does my hunting partner and many, many of my other clients. Guns from the 1880's in that condition are rare? That would depend upon your definition of rare, I have a safe full of them. The idea is that if you are looking for a good quality vintage gun, pay real money for condition. You pay for condition up front but you save on repairs. Buy low mileage, feed it properly, maintain it well and enjoy. No you cannot go to Wallyworld and buy ammo, yes you have to look after it, but many of us here are in the game for nostalgia. Would an auto loader be a more efficient Pheasant gun for me? Most likely but I have zero interest in that. Pretty sure you could shoot more grouse off an atv with a .22 than you are killing over your Setter, sure not much nostalgia in that though is there?

Yes indeed, steel certainly improved with time. That said, I have a lovely London built .500bpe from the 1870's with steel barrels that are holding up just fine for the intended purpose.

Besides, shopping for the keepers is half the fun. This one was built in 1894, all original and gets out to play sometimes.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns