Originally Posted by LeFusil
Toby,
I kind of touched on my experience and opinion with the H&H system in my first post. I am talking about the H&H system. Not the Boss or even the Coggie system of using ejector springs to assist in opening. I am also familiar with the Smith system used on Churchills and Rossons. Strictly talking about the H&H system here because that’s what the original post was about.
In my experience with H&H system is that when the gun is fired, top lever pushed over and the system opens the gun, unless there’s enough barrel weight, or if the gun is slightly at an angle (maybe cocked a bit side ways or barrels slightly elevated) or if the shooter adds a little added momentum, the system rarely ejects the fired hulls and cocks the gun simultaneously on opening. This is MY experience with the gun. Heavier barrels definitely assist the process in the H&H system, as does having the right angle, and If the coil spring goes a bit weak, forget it.
Not so on a Purdey or Lancaster. On those systems, if you open the gun when it’s tilted sideways or even upside down, barrels slightly elevated, etc, they’re opening forcefully and ejecting the shells and completing a number of other functions simultaneously, that is my definition of a true self opener. Any angle. Any barrel weight. Any position. When you open the action, it pops open with authority and has the power to complete all the other functions of the design. I know…some guns cock on closing, some on opening, some cock one tumbler on opening and one on closing, also cocking ejectors, etc.
Some will argue that a Browning Super or Citori with a weak or broken top lever spring is also a self opener, or even a Fox or LC Smith with a worn rotary bolt could qualify as well.😀
Fair point.