Originally Posted by LRF
Do you have an example or picture showing what you are thinking with regards to the front dovetail? Most windage front sights have graduations already or am I missing something? And along those sample lines most front sights for long range rifles included a spirit level so why would you need a rear level? Which would be most inconvenient and difficult to focus on when your focusing on the front sight. Of course anything is possible and everyone has their own preferences.
My first thought was also scope mounts but I have discounted that because the dovetails are not very robust

Lynn,
There's an early windgauge globe front sight shown in Roy Marcot's book on Remington Sporting Rifles, with no scale on the globe sight, and only a single center mark. So they used a separate bar dovetailed in front with a scale engraved on it. Also on p.62 of Rowe's book American Rifle Sights, where he explains the very early Long Range rifles used a "wind gauge mounted on the barrel in it's own dovetail in front of the sight".
The issue is that tiny rear dovetail. No mention of any of the windgauge front sights without a spirit level, as supposedly all came with spirit levels, even early guns.

Last edited by Vall; 11/01/21 05:55 PM.