Originally Posted by BrentD
Vall,
remember that scopes or sight tubes of the appropriate period will slide in their mounts, so they will not require as strong a dovetail as other scopes. The symmetry of the dovetails front and back also speak to a scope or sight tube, but I agree they are mighty small dovetails for that purpose.

I have not seen a front sight of the type you describe. Perhaps some aftermarket thing cobbled together? But I haven't seen all of the front sights for Creedmoor rifles.

The rear dovetail for a sight level is a nonstarter. If you ever shoot Creedmoor, you know the only place for a level is right behind the front sight and preferably within the globe or hood. It might as well be under the barrel as right in front of the breech on top. You will never see it there when you are in the gun. I shoot a lot of Creedmoor and have used a bubble in the rear barrel sight dovetail on my #3 1874 even that much further forward, it is still absolutely useless.

I'll throw out one more less than satisfactory idea. A mirage band with some sort of wire hanger that would go around the front sight. But I don't like that idea much either and have never read of an oldtimer using a mirage band in a Creedmoor match back in the day. Such bands are illegal now.

It's a mystery with no readily apparent or totally satisfactory answer - at least so far.

You might post those photos on the Creedmoor 150 facebook page. Someone may have another idea. There are some very good historians of Creedmoor shooting that hang out there.
Not only the small 1/8" dovetail width, but the extremely shallow cut that would make the edges of that tiny dovetail very fragile, and easy to break with anything of any weight. The front being solely for the wind gauge bar is a no brainer, and since Rowe's book shows the sight and the separate windgauge, it's easy to see how that one works.
Good idea on posting at the Creedmoor 150 FB age. Maybe someone has seen an old gun with something located back in that position, and might shed light on this. Thanks.