Originally Posted by ed good
of course, one can learn to catch ejected shells...but why deal with it, when simply lifting the spent shells out of the chambers is so much less distracting...

You have this backwards. The advantage, such that it is, in the 'distraction' sense is in all cases with the ejector gun. What could be less distracting than the empty shells simply disappearing when the gun is opened?

My primary singles and handicap trap gun is an extractor gun. There is zero functional difference on the trap line when saving shells between it and an ejector gun. The grip hand goes to the same place between targets and makes the same motions.

I have several extractor double guns. They do require a slightly different technique and it's the same when when saving shells or not. This is a complete non-issue to anyone who actually shoots much.

Get over the idea that you need to 'catch' ejected shells.

Originally Posted by Buzz
With the cheap shells with steel bases we have now which sometimes swell when fired and are sometimes hard to remove from the chamber, even in ejector guns…

I find the problems associated with steel head shells to be essentially limited to repeaters.

A bigger problem with break open guns is the lack of standardization of shell head dimensions between brands of shells. This results at best in shell rims behind the ejector and at worse to misfires.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble