"A large number of people just don't "see" a lot...even stuff that to you and I would be glaringly obvious."

And it seems a fair number of dealers can't "see" it either, although I'm convinced they do; it's just that the profit motive is more important than personal integrity. Some may be aware of a recent northeast auction where the highlight was to be a 16-bore LC Smith Deluxe; one of only two produced. Well interestingly, it just so happens that there was another, and different 16-bore LC Smith Deluxe with the same serial number that sold at auction several years ago. So the auction company was advised that the gun they had for auction was a duplicate serial number and most likely a fake; and the photos I saw revealed that the gun was indeed an obvious fake. Not wishing to risk their reputation, the auction house revised their description to accurately reflect the gun and it sold for $15K (the auctioneer had advised me that he had received one bid of $250K prior to the gun being exposed as a fake). Now here's the kicker; the gun was being sold by the widow of the owner who had been suckered by an LC Smith "expert" into believing the gun was authentic, and therefore well worth the $120K he paid. He'd purchased this and several other now suspect Smith guns from the same individual, paying big bucks in the process; and did so going to his grave convinced that the sale of his collection would be a great retirement/nest egg strategy for his wife and kids. Obviously his widow is pissed! I understand she had already contacted the seller who still claims that that gun was "right in every detail". I know this seller and he has probably owned and sold more Smith guns than anyone living. Based on what little I know, I'm inclined to believe a fraud was committed by the seller, but I'm not an attorney? I've no idea as to the eventual outcome of this situation, but the seller has already been advised by the widow that he will be hearing from her attorney.
I've no idea how many faked high-grade Smith guns there may be floating around; but I'm aware of this gun and a fake A-3 twenty gauge. Both were sold by the same dealer and I understand the A-3 was sold for six figures also. This kind of stuff saddens and frustrates me personally, especially when this individual is a member of the LCSCA; an organization in which I've been deeply involved for so many years as regards promoting the organization, and in research of the Smith gun. I'll never say a high-grade LC can't be faked nowadays, as anything is possible; but with the detailed information we now have available, doing so will be extremely difficult. Faker's simply fail to address all the minute details.