BB, a Red grouse is a very dark meat. Ruffed grouse are as white as blanched endive.
While I agree with you on a red’s complex? aroma, the two birds bear no resemblance.

First off, people like what they like. There are lots of people, so there are lots of different ways people enjoy what they eat.

I do not like the flavors imparted in ruffed grouse if they are not drawn quickly. As in, as soon as you can grab them. I find their digestive juices to leave an offensive tang in the meat. But not everyone feels that way. Or can notice the difference.

We did an experiment in college related to ability to taste a chemical, over a gradation of 20 different concentrations. Some people can taste nothing at level 20, and some people can taste it level one.

There is no real right or wrong to it, people are just different.

Ruffed grouse breast fillets lend themselves to being pounded thin, lightly dusted, and fried like a schnitzel. Or a piccata.
Any accompanying sauce you would like.
Chunked in a cassoulet, or in a curry, because they are so mild, the possibilities are endless.
For me, anything with Tex Mex seasoning and a ruffed grouse are contradictory. But that’s just me. So no tacos or white chili.

I’m not fond of anything cooked in mushroom soup, or wrapped in bacon, unless it’s just more bacon
I don’t think they roast well on the bone (unlike red grouse), too easily dried out. But they do well sous vide, and then finished under a broiler.

I work hard at cooking game, and eat it regularly.
Dinner last night was venison smoked polish sausage.
Today, a smoked venison crown roast with new potatoes.
[Linked Image from ]

Last edited by ClapperZapper; 12/25/21 10:08 AM.

Out there doing it best I can.