ed: You know...I had a very good comparison just yesterday. Got to compare some nice young (December '21) mule deer doe loin (the day before) to a chunk of ribeye roast (standing rib w/o the bones) on my birthday. Both were wonderful (had some GF Yorkshire pudding with the beef that was truly a revelation, ala Alton Brown!). Both served with a good big red wine but w/different condiments (cranberry-horseradish for the doe, creamy horseradish sauce for the cow) and sides (blue cheese polenta for the deer, mashed potatoes w/morel gravy for the cow). The beef was extremely rich in comparison to the venison, the big difference being all the fat marbled into the meat on the cow. I liked both immensely but I feel better after eating deer (full, but still capable of doing something). Beef leaves me feeling like I need a nap after dinner.

Keith: I've actually had some very good roasted Canadian goose before (done by a professional chief) but nothing since as good. My father-in-law had mostly defaulted to corned goose breasts and goose stew on those fellows (largely out of necessity) and both were quite acceptable. Clearly, they are lots of work compared to ruffed grouse or pheasants. Tequila can also be darn good, done correctly (a big gold Margareta fan here on summer evenings on my deck, & even for the pricey stuff on the rocks w/a twist of lime) but my first love is clearly bourbon. Just got a jug of the blue corn stuff out of Texas for Christmas. Looking forward to sampling that one when the time comes.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/04/22 01:49 PM.