Der Ami: Thankyou! Thankfully, nobody else seemed much interested in this rifle. Settling the estate was simple in some ways (and complex in others) so the way it worked out was very fortunate for my son. There is much I don't know about both the '03-A3 and the .308 Norma Magnum. My limited reading has me thinking the 1903 Springfield and the '03-A3 are slightly different(?) in that the later versions incorporated some changes to make for easier mass-production? I believe this version is an earlier rifle. My knowledge about this Norma cartridge is even more limited as I've not found much about it's history yet. Visually, they do remind me of the .300 Winchester, with perhaps a shorter neck and ballistically I remember them being very similar as well. In a comparison to the damage done by a .300 Weatherby on game animals I've processed, it is much less destructive, punching a neat hole instead of turning everything to jelly. No matter...he seems to really be pleased with it. Looking forward to teaching him how to reload for it. Halfadouble's suggestion about limiting overall length to 3.31 inches is something I'll be paying particular attention to. How these handloads he inherited with it fit into the magazine of this rifle is of some concern, as there is very little room for any more length (I expect that there is a good reason for that). I will also be examining the chamber for the presence (or absence) of any freebore. I'll likely be carefully measuring his grandfathers handloads for OAL and then try to duplicate them. I just wish I'd had first crack at his grandad's reloading supplies (and possible notes). I'm only guessing at what powders he was using for it right now. I suspect 4350 but 4831 is also a good possibility.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/09/22 09:01 PM.