Originally Posted by keith
Fred, while looking at those Ebay offerings of water buffalo horn, one of them looked as if the section of horn was hollow. If you decide to buy any of these for your dog, could you please let us know if they are indeed hollow, or if there is enough solid material that they might be suitable for things like buffalo horn forearm tips or buttplates? They seem pretty reasonably priced compared to blocks of horn that I've seen for sale. Thanks.

Hi Keith

I plan to buy some of those ebay horns, and will let you know. With regard to the horn blocks, while they aren't cheap, they aren't that bad either
when you consider that if you buy a piece of horn, you will have to shape it into a block and that will take some time. And you may find that it has problems.
That being said, a friend mentioned that " Howe would glue round horn plugs in the sling swivel area, then drill them and install swivel into the horn. The horn is much tougher than walnut and once screwed in it’s like there welded." So I would like to have some horn cheaply enough that I could try this.

Fred