Jumping forward three or four years because the next several posts deal with the fallout from the 1851 Crystal Palace fair - break-action breech-loaders.

============= *22 1857: J.C. Reilly retires TEXT ===============

*22 September 1857: J.C. Reilly Retires; January 1864 he passed away:

In September 1857 J.C. Reilly retired*22a to his country estates at Bourn End, Cranfield, Bedfordshire,*22b where he died a wealthy man in January 1864.*22c E.M. was one of the executors of his will.*22d His last guns in the "7000" series were engraved with Julius Caesar's words "Vini, Vidi, Vici" ("I came, I saw, I conquered")*22e possibly as his swan song story of his life. "Formerly Gun-Maker, London" was placed on his tombstone at his request.*22f

Speculation: J.C.'s retirement appeared to have been quite abrupt. At the time the debate over center-break breech-loaders, a French invention, divided families and flame wars raged in the British press. One wondered if J.C., the traditionalist, broke with his son E.M, a very early proponent of the Lefaucheux break-action gun, over this issue - much like what happened between the Greener's father/son a few years later. However, based on 1855 advertisements in "The Field "broke" is not the correct word - rather a more accurate description of JC's retirement should be something like, "JC surrendered the field to his son."*22g

=========== *22 1857: J.C. Reilly retires END TEXT =============

Last edited by Argo44; 06/04/22 11:34 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch