================= Pause 2 and Questions ==================

PAUSE-2: We're about 3/10th of the way through the Reilly documentation. I just want to check to see if there are any objections so far. To reiterate the evidence above appears to show that:

1st phase 1812-1847: - above
-- Reilly began making guns around 1828 in addition to dealing in quality used guns.
-- By 1831 he was selling guns in the white to country dealers
-- By 1835 he was possibly selling guns in the white to London gunmakers.
-- He was a pistol maker as well as a long-gun maker
-- In 1835 he moved to 316 High Holborn.
-- About 1837 he quit numbering pistols but continued to assemble and engrave them
-- He did the same with air guns in the 1840's. E.M. was billed as the expert,
-- His son E.M. may have become a full partner in the firm in 1840 at the age of 23.
-- He was boring his own barrels as early as 1837. *(Not sure in spite of claims: this to be discussed further on Chap 35 Reilly Barrels)

2nd phase 1847-1857 (minus break-action information):
-- 1847 Reilly moved to 502 New Oxford Street.
-- A New label was used for a few months
-- A label was created Dec 1847 which continued to 1856.
-- Mainline serial numbers jumped up 5000 numbers from about 3350 to 8350 with the move in 1847.
-- J.C. kept SN's for himself as early as January 1846..called the "7000" series ending in 1857 with his retirement
-- EM represented the company at the 1851 and 1855 World's Fairs.
-- Though they had different entries in Post Office and Manufacturing anthology books at the time, J.C. and E.M. mostly used the same advertisements, worked from the same building and used the same trade/case labels.
-- The company made custom guns and munitions for famous hunters and military heroes in the 1850's.
-- J.C. retired in 1857 - he died in 1864.

Welcome other observations. (I have a lot more material but I can think of several questions I'd like to have answered myself). Thanks

(And by the way, why post obvious historical documentation? Simply because the gun world is filled up with urban-legend and "It was said so it has to be true" "oral or internet history." When this line began to be researched in November 2015 contradictions immediately surfaced and the author decided to "go back to primary source material and take nothing for granted.")

================= Pause 2 and Questions ==================

Last edited by Argo44; 05/08/22 11:06 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch