If the truth be known Ed Harris has saved the shooting fraternity vast amounts of cash by using his red concoction rather than purchasing propitiatory brands of gun cleaner my self included. Now times have changed and things move on and new products come along. I now mix up a newer version of Ed's cleaner but it is now not red though it is still Ed Harris's intellectual property. There are two changes instead of Detron 3 Automatic transmission fluid I substitute Engine Flushing oil (not the STP or the Winns offerings) but the first oil that you use after performing a complete re build of an engine to remove all the dirt and oil scum that you could not get at to remove. You purchase in in gallon containers and run the new build engine for about half an hour then remove it, this oil has a higher percentage of Detergent's and about the same cost as Automatic Transmission fluid. My other substitute is Universal thinners instead of the Acetone, this is a mixture of different solvents that removes all sorts of plastic residue dried oil and Grease from gun barrels though having the same warning it is not so good for stock finishes.
So the mixture is as follows:-

1 part Kerosene
1 part Engine Flushing oil
1 Part Mineral spirits
1 Part Universal thinners

I only add Lanolin when putting guns in storage though no where near the amount recommended by Ed Harris.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!