Choices like this are tough. These old rifles are unique and if you don’t get it now it’s likely gone forever. And we don’t extra points when we leave this world for the money we have left in the bank. So if it speaks to you, buy it.

The argument against buying that particular rifle is that at $12,500 you are probably paying more than you would if you were willing spend time combing auctions and talking to sellers.

I have two double rifles. Both purchased in the past 3 years for under $6K each. I look at a lot of listings before I buy. To me the hunt is as much fun as owning. And ultimately much of what I buy in turn gets sold to pay for something else I had to have. So I can afford this hobby only if I don’t lose money when letting things go. And to me, even with a letter from H&H saying they did the work, the price is ~4K high. A case, dies, brass and other accessories could reduce that. It’s also worth noting that I mostly look for guns that were on the higher end of their respective maker’s output vs pure working guns from good makers. H&H is top tier, but I am biased against plain guns when buying doubles.

So get it if it really speaks to you but only if it does and you think you’ll feel that way for a few years. Good luck.

Chris