Hello All,
I’ve recently received back a set of Westley Richards 12 bore damascus barrels that I had sent out for some work on the lug. The work preformed was done well enough however they were recklessly packaged for shipping and the muzzles ended up with some deep gouges, dents, and scratches by making contact with another part in the package. The damage is enough that to remove all of it the muzzles would need to be taken back enough that half of the front bead would go with it. Also, a good amount of wall thickness would be lost by erasing some deep scratches.
I’ve done some research on how to go about a proper repair and lesser alternative methods. One option was micro welding another delt with setting the front bead back, but that also got into rib and solder work as the bead is a part of the top rib. I decided for now to take the muzzels back to the bead and some stoning on the side scratches. This helped remove a lot of damage but it’s still very noticeable considering these barrels are in excellent original condition otherwise.
So my question here is, what estimated percentage of dollar value to the gun is lost with said damage? Just going to make up numbers here but if it was a 1000.00 dollar gun before damage, does it lose 20% value making it an 800.00 gun now? Or 25% or……..