In my teens I discovered Africa in Literature. There are a lot of Hunting tales and I ultimately wound up spending a goodly number of years in Francophone Africa where I can still be found today. But for me three books read early on are still the best:

The Turning Wheels, by Stuart Cloete - the story of the vortrekers. There is an overwhelming sense of the vastness and color of the Veld. I read that book when I was 14...some terrible scenes like when a man trapped in a tree by a musk ox has his foot wedge by a branch and the ox licks the sole off he boot and the skin off the foot.....

Out of Africa by Karen Blixen: The first line of the book remains with me to this day: "I had a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Ngong Hills". There was something about Kenya in the pre-WWI era that is just incredibly romantic. The movie was good. The book is timeless

The Flame Trees of Thika, by Elspeth Huxley. A child view Kenya..but never were characters so tightly drawn and the romance and the tense tautness of those feelings just overwhelms. Besides the romantic tension between the protagonists, there's a scene where the family huddled in a wagon without their guns, were being hunted by a rogue bull-elephant.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

I've also read books about the interminable wars....starting with the Boer War.....and all the post independence savagery and been involved in some of it. The Continent has changed or maybe it is in transition. Yet those three books still stay with me 60 years later like a fine wine.

Last edited by Argo44; 03/23/22 06:32 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch