[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Interesting to know what W R charge for a factory letter. I am not suggesting it is unreasonable as, after all, they have to store, preserve and conserve the records as well as just look at them. Furthermore the letter may well increase the value of the gun.

In the case of my c.1912 T series BLNE, 30 inch barrel 2 1/2” with Greener cross-bolt, a re-import from South Africa I will refrain as the charge would be rather more than I paid for the gun.

In any event it “says on the tin” much of what they would be able to tell me. It was specially made for Ford Bros, Maritzburg who were ironmongers in Pietermaritzburg. I have the impression that the stamping to that effect on the top extension was done at W R.

The intriguing “FORD’S HAMMERLESS WARRIOR’S GUN” that spurred me into digging the gun out at a Holts view some years ago may have been applied when it reached Ford Bros.

IT WASN’T ME (song credit to Shaggy) that used a scratch card or similar on the exterior of the barrels. The good news is that despite 100 years of hard use the 13/1 nitro proofed barrels are well in proof with clean bores.