I have to leave the Sahara a week early and won't have 6 dead hours on my hand every night. I'm going to hurry up to finish posting the expanded history paragraph by paragraph - originally broken up to assist footnoting - before returning home. I'll mark where I have footnotes and if there are questions can forward them to the questioner. it's a shame all the photos have disappeared. The guns and labels need to be seen to be understood. I'll figure out a way to repost them next year maybe...it'll take another 100 posts though.

======= *78 1882-1885: International Expositions TEXT =======

*78 1882-1885: International Expositions:

1882 Calcutta Fair: Reilly exhibited at the 1882-3 Calcutta fair (a British Empire only affair) and won a medal.*78a

1884-1885 London Exposition: Reilly won a Gold Medal at the 1884 "London Exhibition" and was highly praised for his exhibit at the 1885 London International Inventions Expositions where he won a silver medal.*78b

Note there were three different international expositions in London in 1884-85;
-- An exposition at Crystal Palace;
-- the International Health Exposition of 1884; and
-- the International Inventions Exposition of 1885.
Reilly apparently won a gold medal at the International Health Exposition, although he publicized the medals only as “London Exhibition 1884.” The medals from the International Health Exposition appeared on his labels own 1885.*78c

Reilly also won a silver medal at the International Inventions Exposition which was mentioned in several advertisements but the medals never put onto his labels;

Reilly's exhibit at this exposition is described in Wyman:

Messrs. Reily & Co.'s stand at the Intrnational Inventioins Exhibition of 1885 was acknowledged to have been one of the best appointed exhibits. (…..3 paragraphs of detailed description of guns found including .450 and .500 heavy double rifles, breech loading hammer and hammerless guns with ejectors, A&D boxlocks, Cape Guns, boys and naturalist guns, etc…..)..helping make up a well-appointed miniature gun-shop in the Exhibition Hall*78d.

Note: One Reilly "naturalist" shotgun exists from this period (a small gun made to take wildlife samples without tearing them to shreds):

. . . . .SN 25851 (1884:) E.M. Reilly & Co., 16, New Oxford Street, London and rue Scribe, Paris. Shotgun SxS. 410. Side lever, hammer gun. Naturalist's "sample" gun.*78e.

===== *78 1882-1885: International Expositions END TEXT =====

Last edited by Argo44; 06/05/22 10:54 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch