The answer I was looking for is that both rifles were pictured in Monty Kennedys book Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks. This book was a follow up to Lindens three volume set on restocking a rifle. While the book is authored by Kennedy, there is a lot of Linden work as well as examples and text from many of the top gunsmiths of the day including Brownell, Shelhamer, Mews, Goens, Hearn and of course Kennedy, as well as others. The book is a great resource for the student of pre-war and early post-war custom rifles. I also found it a great text book for learning checkering, although some would argue otherwise. As a kid I pretty much taught myself how to checker through the instruction in this book. While I am no James Anderson or Jerry Fisher, I think I do a fair to middling job of checkering when I get the chance.

I searched off and on for the Hornet for 35 years or so. It finally just kind of dropped in my lap. It was still in Wisconsin where it was built. Although G&H did the Hornet conversion including there neat little magazine box, the stock work was done by Linden. Who did the engraving is likely lost to time.

Anyway, I hope some of you found this interesting. If you have any questions about either rifle feel free to ask.

John
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]