Originally Posted by dbh1956
Do the two "palm fronds" next to "Acier Hercule" mean double proof? I've seen pictures of three palm fronds on Darne before. What does 1100 kilos stand for? im curious because I know of a 20G "French" SxS at a LGS that I will look at next week. Ive got 65mm 16's on hand but a 65mm 20 gauge is a different situation and I would probably want to get it lengthened.

the two fronds on the barrel flats are not proof marks...they are in-house MF quality marks. most of the french makers utilize a similar marking system that denotes the quality of the gun...poincons on darnes, rabbits/swallows, etc....any symbol that is repeated is likely to be makers quality marks. this gun has only single proof marks...they are repeated on the barrel flats and the water table....the arrow through the bullseye target attended by the PT is the standard MF proof...PT is the post 1900 smokeless powder used in the proofing process. it may be shown one, two, or three times, thus indicating the level of proof.

but as doc drew shows (and ted attests to) the standard (single mark) french proof is a substantial test, and will provide a gun able to tolerate any reasonable load intended for a gun of the weight of these hunter's guns.

best regards,

tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland